Films are due and submitted to the vetting and selection committee two weeks prior to the event. This allows filmmakers time to implement any changes that may be requested by the committee for official festival selection. This year’s university submission deadline is April 19, 11a.m.
University films must have been completed by currently enrolled Grove City College students, and may not be submitted more than four years after their completion dates. Only films by students currently enrolled at Grove City College may be submitted. To ensure that your entry can be accepted, please make sure to reference the applicable requirements. Submissions must be accompanied by an Entry Form, which includes a complete list of entry requirements.
To prepare your film submission, please read the file specification and upload instructions (PDF). Then proceed to complete the online form linked below.
The university submission deadline is April 19.
Lux Mea Film Festival will be accepting submissions from April 7 – April 19. To submit your films, a box labeled “Lux Mea Film Festival” will be placed outside of HAL 200K starting April 7. Your submission must be formatted exactly in the following:
- film must be on a thumb drive.
- Complete the submission form. Print and place the form in a white envelope with the thumb drive and put into the box outside of HAL 200K.
- film must abide by video specifications. To find the list of video specifications go to our website, navigate to the submissions tab, and locate the “file specification and upload instructions” PDF.
- include $5 entry fee in envelope.
The Lux Mea Film Festival is dedicated to illuminating the truth through story-telling. We place special value on the ultimate truths illustrated through human experience portrayed by the artistic creativity of the film maker. Consider the following tips to increase your chance of being chosen:
- Story is Key: in a format as short as this, your storyline must be tight and the pacing strategic.
- Keep it Moving: The inciting incident must happen in the first 15-30 seconds for a short film.
- This Isn’t a Home Movie: Every background, every setting must add to the story. Consider the composition of every shot and never underestimate the value of a tripod.
- Storytellers Matter: Cast actors who can actually tell your story, not just your best friend.
- Listen Carefully: Pay careful attention to your film’s sound. You can’t always fix it in post!
- Stay Legal: Do not use any copyrighted music, footage, logos, or images that you have not secured the right to use.
- Keep it Short, Sweet, and to the Point! These are short films, after all.
By entering your film, you agree to the following:
- You will provide the Festival committee with requested marketing and promotional materials.
- Your film has been completed within two years of the entry deadline.
- You are currently enrolled as a student at Grove City College.
- You have secured all the necessary rights for all material in the film for Festival play and the subsequent duplication and sale of your film.
- The Festival retains the right to use all submissions for unlimited promotion, screenings, and a compilation DVD. Entries cannot be returned.
- Judges’ decisions are final. All prizes need not be awarded.
You must submit your film into one of the following categories:
- Narrative – a fictional story.
- Documentary – a true story told in documentary format.
- Animations or Stop Motion – a story told in animation format or stop motion which is the filmmaking technique in which objects are physically manipulated in small increments between individually photographed frames.
- Super short – any story told under three minutes.
- Experimental – anything the film maker imagines that breaks creative boundaries and does not conform to the other categories.
Prizes and Award Categories
Each selected entry will be premiered at the Lux Mea Film Festival. University filmmaker entries are eligible for the following awards:
- Best Drama
- Best Comedy
- Best Documentary
- Best Supershort
- Best Screenplay
- Best Cinematography
- Best Editing
- Best Audio Editing/Mixing
- Best Special Visual Effects
- Best Original Score
- Best Actress
- Best Actor
- Audience Favorite